Portugal international Ricardo Quaresma says he has no intention of making an immediate response after he was subjected to a remarkable attack from the president of his club Besiktas.

Quaresma has spent a total of six season with the Istanbul outfit, but has been tipped to leave Besiktas this summer after the Black Eagles finished 3rd in the Super Lig last term.

Fikret Orman was recently re-elected as the club’s president, and the Besiktas chief made headlines on Tuesday when he launched an attack on 80-time Seleção international Quaresma, who still has one year left to run on his contract at Vodafone Park.

“He disappeared from the team at the most critical moments of the season and is always complaining. The best thing to do is pay him the money he is owed and send him away,” Orman said.

Quaresma is currently on holiday but took to social media to acknowledge the comments, while refusing to be drawn into a public debate. “I will not comment on the words of the president,” said the 35-year-old. “If they aren’t happy, they just have to schedule a meeting with me and talk. At the moment I’m on vacation but when I get back to Istanbul I’ll do an interview and speak the truth. The rest is up to everyone else.”

Former Sporting and Porto man Quaresma was linked with a move to the United States with Major League Soccer earlier this year.

By Sean Gillen

Comments (2)

This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

Love and respect to Ricardo!
PORTO!

This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

Well played by Ricardo. The president must have had too much Raki.

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

      

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I have always said that Besiktas and FC Porto are two clubs that will die with me. They will stay in my heart forever.”

Ricardo Quaresma
(Former Portugal international talking in the wake of his acrimonious departure from Besiktas) 

Partners